Skip to main content

Featured Post

life ~ a photostory

  ~ a life update in the form of a photostory ~ this is truly Julia's aesthetic, entirely by accident, most of her closet is blue and white stripes. she's always either wearing her airplane propeller necklace or her dream necklace, wearing double dutch braids.  Once upon a time, there was a girl named Julia. She was a dreamer, one with a good imagination and wide horizons. Some of her happiest days as a teenager were spent taking photos of dolls, lying in the street to get the perfect angle. Her dolls were like built in friends, companions wherever she went, on trips and vacations and outings.  As she grew up, Julia grew busier and busier, and high school was a lot of work. But she had goals and she did everything she could to reach them. One of them was graduating two years early, which took up a lot of time and energy. After hours upon hours of studying, she finally graduated.  Taking a gap year beginning in 2020, the weirdest year of the century, she had no lack of other thi

Christmas Craft Collab: no. 1, Count-down Calendar

Are you excited about Christmas?!?

I am! And what better way to celebrate Jesus' birth with friends and family (and dolls!)! Several people came really close/ or actually guessed Madi's secret (over at Delightful World of Dolls) when she posted 'Detective Work'. But was I supposed to tell? Oh well! Introducing...

The Christmas Craft Collaboration with Madison the Awesome!

(a.k.a. The Christmas Craft Collab with Madi)
 
I was super happy when she came up with the idea. My only problem is living up to standard now! The first craft, posted on the first day of December (Christmas is only 24 days away, ya'll!) is a Count-down Calendar! Your dolls can put up this Christmas scene calendar/poster up on their wall and open each flap as they wait for Christmas!
Onto the craft!
You will need:
- craft knife
- 2 sheets of cardstock
- pen and pencil
- glue stick
- Bible
- colorful paper (optional)
- chocolate/ candy wrappers (optional)

Start with a coloring page printed on cardstock. This particular coloring page I got from Doll Days when she had her giveaway and you had to color this sheet that she drew to enter. Definitely go check her out, and print out her amazing coloring sheet  (the giveaway is over, but the coloring sheet is still there!)!
You'll also need a craft knife of some sort.
Tip #1: do NOT use a kitchen knife unless it is your LAST resort. Even I gave up on it and borrowed my brother's pocketknife - that ought to tell you something! Craft knives work best.
Tip #2: Make sure to have a parent's permission or adult supervision when using a knife.

Using the knife, cut three sides of a square, leaving the top intact to make it into a flap.
Tip #3: I used the window because there was already a square there, so starting with a shape that is already there will help!

Next, trace around a square template (I traced the window square for starters) with pencil onto different places on your coloring sheet. I chose the fire, the bow on the wreath, part of the stockings, and several others that you'll see in a few minutes.

You'll need twenty-five of these little flaps.
Tip #4: I made a few of them smaller than the original square.
Once you have your 25 flaps, one for each day leading up to Christmas, flip it over.

This is a waaaay easier way to count, in case you were wondering!

Cover the areas WITHOUT flaps with glue. DO NOT put ANY glue on the flaps, this will mess it up.

Lay it down on top of the second sheet of cardstock, lining up the edges.

And, tada! You've got your base calendar! Here comes the fun part...
 
Using a pen, write 1-25, each on a different flap. You can do it randomly, in line, or choose flaps that correspond. I chose the star for Christmas,

A present for day 12, just because I was thinking, 'On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me'!

I added numbers inside the ornaments. That was fun, though I had to write pretty tiny (I've got experience at that- it's called writing 'sewing kit' over 25 times on one label) to fit in two numbers!

I thought this one was funny, the #2 on the pom-pom thingy.

Hang your stockings on Christmas Eve!

And day one started with a bow!
 
Now, to fill the calendar with all sorts of goodies!
Here's a compiled list of ideas:
- Bible verses
- chocolates and candies
- clues (to finding surprises)
- quotes and phrases
- anything else that can fit in a tiny square
 
My favorite was a chocolate that I made out of a candy wrapper- cut out a square, put glue on it and folded it in half. Stick it in a square and you're done!
I also added Bible verses:
'For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
Isaiah 9:6 (a)
Jesus is born!'
* * * * * *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
If you make it, email me a photo or leave me a link in the comments- I'd love to know! You can find the email in the 'Contact Me' section! The tentative craft schedule (from what I understand!) is that Madison and I will each give you a Christmas craft each week- one a week, leading up until Christmas, where we'll... have a surprise (in the form of a photostory or photoshoot using all of the aforementioned crafts)!
Look out for another post REALLY soon (like, today!) on a really big project that I've been working on and can't WAIT to show you!
~ Light4theLord
 

Comments

  1. That is such a cool idea! I might make it: I'm not quite sure yet.
    <3Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a neat idea! Awesome countdown calendar! :) ♥ Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll make some of these! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I LOVE your craft! I'm going to make it as soon as I can! It's so perfect and adorable! Like, AHH! :D I'm even more excited for all things Christmas now! :D Oh, and I'm probably going to make a photostory during this month of my dolls doing the things/eating-the-treats/whatever-else-I-can-come-up-with on/in the advent calendar.

    And you're so sweet! Hehe! :) I'm going to have a super fun time making up an introduction for you... I'm thinking "The Christmas Craft Collab with Light4theLord the Phenomenal, Amazing, Epic, Too-Awesome-for-Words!" :D

    I'm going to try with everything I have to get my craft up on Saturday. LOL. :P I'm super excited! :D

    Merry Christmas! :D

    •Madison•

    P.S. *smacks forehead* You're a genius! I totally forgot that we should encourage people who make the craft to send us pictures of it. Ooh! Idea! Should we include a Christmas Craft Collab Recap on Christmas Eve in which we each post all the pictures that people who made the crafts have sent us? And then the *surprise in the form a photo story/photoshoot* on Christmas day (I'm probably going to schedule that, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Me too! I'm working on another one while watching a movie! That would be awesome, I can't wait! Oooohhhh, wait what?! :D You're awesome too!! :D I'm really looking forward to yours- I know it'll be GREAT! I've got an email that my mom helped set up for this blog, so if it's not possible to send a picture through your form, they can always send it there. :) I LOVE THE IDEA!!! I didn't think of that! That would definitely be awesome- Christmas Eve it is! Two in a row of super stuff (times two!)!! :D
      'I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!'
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  5. This is awesome! Thanks for the great craft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited to do a collab with Madi (my first ever!)!

      Delete
  7. This is a really fun idea! I'm looking forward to all the posts that will be a part of this collab. :)
    ~Christian Homeschooler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to doing it and reading Madi's too! Make sure to check her new one out if you haven't already!

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous!! For a minute I'm like "Why does she a bible??" Then when bible verses came up I'm like "Ohhh!! How cool!!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! I didn't realize how intricate this really was until I read your blog post! I need to see it up close now. <3 Love the new background too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts