Skip to main content

Featured Post

life ~ a photostory

  ~ a life update in the form of a photostory ~ this is truly Julia's aesthetic, entirely by accident, most of her closet is blue and white stripes. she's always either wearing her airplane propeller necklace or her dream necklace, wearing double dutch braids.  Once upon a time, there was a girl named Julia. She was a dreamer, one with a good imagination and wide horizons. Some of her happiest days as a teenager were spent taking photos of dolls, lying in the street to get the perfect angle. Her dolls were like built in friends, companions wherever she went, on trips and vacations and outings.  As she grew up, Julia grew busier and busier, and high school was a lot of work. But she had goals and she did everything she could to reach them. One of them was graduating two years early, which took up a lot of time and energy. After hours upon hours of studying, she finally graduated.  Taking a gap year beginning in 2020, the weirdest year of the century, she had no lack of other thi

My Songwriting Process ~ A DOTM Post ~

Hey guys, it's Hollis! Now if you know me, you know I LOVE music and LOVE writing my own songs. I write songs almost every day. So, I thought that it would be fitting to take you through my process. Let's get music making!
All of my songs start out with a feeling or idea that I want to portray.
 

Today, I'm really missing my BFF Jaya, who lives in Nashville. She has always been super supportive of my music, so I think that I'm going to write a song about her.
Before the magic can begin, I'm going to need my songwriting essentials.
First up, my guitar. This was the guitar my parents got me for my twelfth birthday.  Next, I need my lucky guitar pick that I've had since I was four. I also have my songwriting journal and a pencil, some tea and cookies, and a dog. Normally, one of the dogs come into my room when I song write, so I get to "borrow" them for a while.
Now, I can get started!
 
Step One: Getting Started


With all of my songwriting materials put to the side, I grab my tea and cookies and think more about the song I want to write. I'll think about details, maybe some lyrics or chord progressions, etc. I know that I want this song to really focus on Jaya and me's friendship.
Step Two: The Beginning Stages

After my tea and cookies are done, it gets a lot harder. I have to decide to work on either the lyrics or the melody first. Since I have a verse already forming in my head, I'm going to work on lyrics.

It's a lot harder than it looks. You have to make sure it all makes sense, which means doing a lot of crossing out and erasing.
Finally, I have a rough draft of my lyrics. Now, it's melody time!
 
Step 3: Adding the melody

This is usually a lot easier for me than the lyrics. Once I know the lyrics, I'll usually sing the song to myself to get an idea of the notes. It all comes together from here.
It's taken significantly less time and I'm already done with the melody. Unfortunately, that means my song is going to be stuck in my head for the next day.

Step Four: Editing

Nope, the song isn't ready yet. Now, I have to make sure the two parts, melody and lyrics go together. That means changing a chord or two and rewriting a verse a few times. Usually, I prefer to change my lyrics instead of my melody.
 
I'll play it, edit, play it, edit, play it, edit, play it, edit, and play it until it finally sounds good. I just have to make one final edit, and my song is done.
 

Step Five: Performing

I usually play my song for up to three people before showing it to my record label to see if they like it. This song, however, will not be shown to my record label. I'm going to make a video of me performing it and send the video to Jaya.
The song that I ended up writing is called "Forever" and I'm really proud of it.
I can't wait to post again!


Comments

  1. This is so creative and fun!
    ~Gracie
    smileandcraftag.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did!
      -Hollis

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts