Skip to main content

Featured Post

life ~ a photostory

  ~ a life update in the form of a photostory ~ this is truly Julia's aesthetic, entirely by accident, most of her closet is blue and white stripes. she's always either wearing her airplane propeller necklace or her dream necklace, wearing double dutch braids.  Once upon a time, there was a girl named Julia. She was a dreamer, one with a good imagination and wide horizons. Some of her happiest days as a teenager were spent taking photos of dolls, lying in the street to get the perfect angle. Her dolls were like built in friends, companions wherever she went, on trips and vacations and outings.  As she grew up, Julia grew busier and busier, and high school was a lot of work. But she had goals and she did everything she could to reach them. One of them was graduating two years early, which took up a lot of time and energy. After hours upon hours of studying, she finally graduated.  Taking a gap year beginning in 2020, the weirdest year of the century, she had no lack of other thi

dolls + blogging = serving God

If you've read DNA long enough, you know what I'm talking about.
But if you're still not sure exactly what I mean in the title (seriously, I hope that caught your attention - wait a second, if it didn't, you wouldn't be reading this XD), then keep reading.
 
Back in October of 2016, I asked God, “I know You want us to be faithful in the small things, and I like doing small things for You, but could You maybe give me a medium sized thing to do for you?”
You see, since March of 2015, I’ve been helping sponsor a Filipino Compassion sponsor child. I definitely do not have a steady income, so I have to trust and pray that God will provide each month – and He has, through some pretty unexpected ways. I would get an email that a picture I had taken was getting published in a magazine and I would receive a check for the right amount. Another time, I won a trivia contest at my orthodontist and got the perfect amount to pay for Rose (my sponsor child). Even before I asked God that, I had been wanting to know how I could use my writing, my blogging, my photography, my love of dolls and crafting, and my serving for God. I
n October, God showed me. I had been making little paper puppet sets out of American Girl doll catalogs, and I had left one on my bed. My mom passed by and said that she thought it’d be neat if I made some to put in the boxes. After she left, I thought even more about that and realized – what if I could put an actual doll in each of the boxes? I love playing with my dolls, so what if a girl on the other side of the world had never ever received a gift in her entire life, and maybe she was suffering in a torn family, or a war-torn country and opened her first ever gift and saw a cheerful doll that she could hold, and play, and talk to.
 I know I can’t change the entire world right away, but it’s been said that for each OCC box that is sent, approximately 10 people are reached. If I send 100 shoeboxes with 1 doll in each that means that God’s project that He’s letting me work on will reach about 1,000 people. That’s a lot. Not only do I want to put a doll in each shoebox that I send, I want to send each of the necessities. That’s a total of about 100 bars of soap, 100 articles of clothing, at least 200 pencils, 100 notebooks, and 100 dishes. That’s not all, but that’s a large chunk of it. God has already provided though, even by now – on my 100 Dolls 4 100 Girls blog that I started in December, I have an inventory list that shows that we almost have 50 bars of soap already, a quarter of the needed washcloths, almost half of the necessary clothing items, and a lot of school supplies.
It’s amazing to see how God has been working – but I don’t want to be the only one that is being blessed by helping with this project. That’s why Sarah and I got to make soap bars together, and why my friend all the way from Texas is making 100 bracelets for the boxes. I’ve been praying for a team of people to pray over the boxes, to help pack the special 100, and to just have fun making things and shopping for things for the boxes. 
If you'd like to help out (in any way - the more the merrier!), check out 100 Dolls 4 100 Girls here!
Hey, and if you guys are interested in becoming a team member, pray about it and then contact me! I'll be praying too!
~ Light4theLord
 


Comments

Popular Posts