Skip to main content

Featured Post

life ~ a photostory

  ~ a life update in the form of a photostory ~ this is truly Julia's aesthetic, entirely by accident, most of her closet is blue and white stripes. she's always either wearing her airplane propeller necklace or her dream necklace, wearing double dutch braids.  Once upon a time, there was a girl named Julia. She was a dreamer, one with a good imagination and wide horizons. Some of her happiest days as a teenager were spent taking photos of dolls, lying in the street to get the perfect angle. Her dolls were like built in friends, companions wherever she went, on trips and vacations and outings.  As she grew up, Julia grew busier and busier, and high school was a lot of work. But she had goals and she did everything she could to reach them. One of them was graduating two years early, which took up a lot of time and energy. After hours upon hours of studying, she finally graduated.  Taking a gap year beginning in 2020, the weirdest year of the century, she had no lack of other thi

I STILL Love AG and I'm Proud of That

AG has gotten a lot of criticism lately.

Especially lately. But believe me - I can argue both sides. Wanna see me try? Then keep reading.
*I'll try to keep it as even as I possibly can and argue both sides evenly*
 
Wellie Wishers
Side #1: Wellie Wishers are adorable. They're perfect for younger kids who aren't as careful with their toys. The dolls can get completely wet, with their vinyl bodies and closed eyes. In the long run, they're more durable because the eyes won't rust and the bodies won't mildew. Their hair is the same quality as every other doll AG has made.
Side #2: But did they have to retire the Bitty Twins just to make room for them? They're completely plastic, and all of their accessories look cheap. The packaging is awful, and they're sold in so many places even I mistake them for Toys R Us brands.
 
Logan and Tenny
Side #2: Logan is a boy doll. And hint hint, a boy doll made by American Girl. Their hands look like the Our Generation dolls, and seriously? American Girl has to look to celebrities for ideas now, since they're obviously modeling Tenny after a singer. And all her outfits are so country-ish. Plus, she's going to overpower the GOTY. Couldn't they have given them equal attention?
Side #1: It's going to be so nice to be able to get a boy doll for $120 instead of the normal price for custom boy dolls. Besides, what's the big deal? Remember the Bitty Twins that you were so upset AG retired? There were boys in that one too. Yup. AG fans have been wanting a musician for-ever (closest we've ever gotten is Dylan, Saige's friend, and Grace playing music while she cooks) and we've finally gotten one - two, actually! Plus, country music fans are going wild, and it'll be good business for AG. They'll actually be able to play instruments now, instead of looking like amateurs.

Toys R Us and Kohl's
Side #1: Finally, those who don't live by stores yet still want to make a memory with the special girl in their life can go to a huge selection of AG stuff at Toys R Us. Some parents and grandparents would love to get their daughter/granddaughter an American Girl doll, but the travel time is too long and they don't want to order online because of several reasons (want to surprise girl, let girl choose). Plus, it's a large selection, so there are plenty of options.
Side #2: This is such a rip-off. Seriously. I mean, if people really want an AG doll, go to the store and actually make a memory. Or, order online. It's simple. And plus, tons of other dolls are available at other stores. AG is just getting too generic. At least AG could have kept the selection a little smaller. They're just not them anymore.

GOTYs
Side #2: Why on earth do they have to get rid of the GOTYs? And Gabriella is here for '2017 and beyond'. That means she's another Girl of the Years. Plus, they've lost all creativity. AG should've totally turned to their fans and supporters to come up with more. Poor Gabriella - really, she's the first AA GOTY and they had to make her just plain copied. It's like a mix of Marisol, Isabelle, and several other GOTYs. She doesn't even get to have a movie.
Side #1: There have been fifteen GOTYs, with (supposedly) only one left. Who knows, maybe she'll be a snow-skier! We finally got Gabriella, an African American GOTY! Yay! And, the writer that everyone has been wanting - a poet! Lots of girls can relate to dancers, which is probably why they did another one.
 
Movies
Side #1: American Girl is keeping us on our toes! The four historical movies were great, Chrissa showed a great example, McKenna had wonderful gymnasts, and Saige was an inspiring movie where she tries to save her art program. Isabelle shows lots of girls who have older siblings and feel like they're in the older sibs' shadows how to change that. She made her own moves. Grace was unique, and she got to travel! Lea's movie was so different from all of their others, but kept the viewers on their toes with her adventure! Mini movies are great for time slots when people would like to relax for a few minutes. Melody's movie was great, and was amazing quality!
Side #2: Whatever happened to AG quality? Their movies keep getting worse: Samantha, Felicity, Kit, and Molly were amazing. Then comes Chrissa, which was okay. McKenna was okay. Then what on earth was Saige?! The thirteen-year-olds trying to portray nine-year-olds. Their outfits were horrible, and they were awful actors. The 'giggle' is just plain annoying. Really. Then comes Isabelle, who looks like she's in high school, and her sister is in college when she's supposed to be elementary aged and her sister in middle school. It's not even suspenseful when it comes to Grace because we know they're going to win first place. They always do - it's so unrealistic. Lea?! She looked like she was seven, and her hair was red. And what was the whole police/poachers/missing brother/Brazil/lying/yelling thing? Horrible. And American Girl is choosing CANADIAN actresses. I don't have anything against Canadians, but it's AMERICAN girl. Next, mini movies? They weren't even according to the story. It was some weird fifteen minute clip. Then, Amazon Prime - Maryellen wasn't even played by the same girl for crying out loud! AND she was wearing a wig - it was really obvious. Ugh.
 
Other Changes (to bodies, packaging)
 Side #2: First of all, permanent underwear is a HORRIBLE idea. It's the worst ever. AG's quality is declining FAST. The dolls were just fine before that. Now what will happen to our swim outfits and leotards? And seriously, that's just plain awful. The outfits were perfectly fine before, they came with underwear. Now AG has to SEW the underwear on. Zip-tied heads are a really bad idea, especially for customizing. What if the head gets wet? Now you can't let it dry or anything. This is horrible. The packaging looks like the Walmart brand, and the OG brand, and everything. AG used to be unique, the best out there. Now what? It's a terrible occurrence. Whatever happened to the real AG?
Side #1: AG has assured us that the permanent underwear won't bother the swimsuits and leos. Besides, who really wants to look at a doll without clothes?! Zip-tie heads stay on better, and they don't tilt as much. Also, it'll be harder for the stuffing to show at their necks. The new packaging will let people see what the dolls look like now!

*******************************
So, how'd I do? I still love AG. Now that I've done both 'sides' I'm going to give my opinion (everyone cues the groaning)...
Wellie Wishers: They're adorable. Yes, I wish they could've kept the Bitty Twins too, but now the WW can be part of the doll family! I really, really want my little sister to get Ashlynn. Their hair is great quality, and they seem pretty durable!
Logan and Tenney: I'm really excited about Logan and Tenney coming out! I've always wanted a boy doll, and he'll hopefully be cheaper than customs. He's pretty cute. :D Tenney is gorgeous! She does look a little like a TM, but she's still pretty. I wish her meet outfit didn't clash as badly though!
Toys R Us and Kohls: The TRU selection is HUGE. I went with my grandmother and Madi last month and it was pretty amazing. I got to see some stuff up close that I hadn't seen before! I think it's great for people who don't have a AGP closeby. I will admit though, I'd never buy a doll there because if I really saved up enough, I'd go to the store (it's like, an extra forty-five minutes from the TRU) and make a huge memory out of it!
GOTYs: I love the GOTYs. While I am a bit disappointed by the recycled stories, I still love Gabby! She's really pretty, and I absolutely LOVE her meet outfit! I wish I had it!
Movies: The four historical ones are amazing (Felicity, Samantha, Kit, Molly). The mini-movies are okay. I wasn't a huge fan of them. Chrissa, McKenna, Grace, and Lea were okay too. Grace was my fav GOTY movie. I really disliked the actresses in the Saige and Isabelle movie... Melody's movie was great, but Maryellen's was just bland. :/
Other Changes: Honestly? I really hate the new packaging. It looks cheap (it IS cheap). The permanent underwear are okay, so long as they're okay under the leotards. Zip-tie heads are fine with me 'cause I've never customized. Even if I was planning to customize, I'd use older dolls! :D
*****************************
I kinda had fun with this! I rarely EVER do a 'my opinion' on releases (though I've thought it'd be fun), but I really think AG needs support right now. Yes, I'm not pleased with some of their things, but I still love AG... and I'm proud of that.
~ Light4theLord
 


Comments

  1. Well written! Your two sided discussion gave me a different perspective and that's good! Sometimes ( OK, all the time) you need to hear both sides of the argument. I agree the WW are cute and they look to be good quality! Not sure about Logan but Tenney is really pretty. What?! No more GOTYs? I hadn't heard that one! I have senn the historical movies and I really liked them! :) Packaging? Not a fan but maybe they will change it. sorry for such a long comment.
    ~ Taryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mom was helping me see some of the POVs in the car one day and I figured I might as well post about it. :D It's a rumor flying around that GOTY 2018 will be the last one (dunno if it's true, but then again, people were saying that Lea was the last. And then of course, the '2017 and beyond' made people speculate) I love long comments!
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  2. While I don't agree with your opinion, I think this is really well written, and I'm glad American Girl is getting some support.

    for me, it isn't only the underwear thing that made me decide to stop being a customer of them. Their prices don't seem worth it for me anymore.

    I do agree with how cute the Wellie Wishers are! Their adorable!
    And even if I won't be buying her, I'm glad they are coming out with a music character.

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving your opinion! The prices are pretty insane. The Wellie Wishers are even more adorable in real life!
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness light4thelord, you've done it! You've accomplished something that I'm sad to say I was to scared to speak out about. I STILL LOVE AG. The underwear doesn't bother me, nor logan, nor wellies, nor really anythng! (Well, except Gabriela...) AG is awesome and sometimes I feel like people are too dramatic about it. I care about AG, but does permanent undies that don't cause a problem with swimwear REALLY bother people? yeah. So great post!
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Sam! I still love AG too! :D Exactly. Thank you! :)
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  4. *applauds* WELL said, L4TL! I loved reading both sides. I still love American Girl, too, and I'm proud of that as well! Every company makes decisions that not everyone likes, but I still love AG for the good things they do have. If I don't like a product of theirs, good grief, I don't have to buy it. XD I don't need to boycott them for it. :P I'll just probably be purchasing #62 much sooner because I don't want her underwear to be permanent - it would show through a pair of white pants my dolls like to wear. *shrugs* If I'm not crazy about Tenney or Logan, by all means, I won't buy them. :P I view things from the big picture and think it kind of funny that some people would boycott an entire company for good just because they don't like most of their products. If you don't like a product, my gosh, you don't have to buy it, people! XD Stick to what you do like, like that incredibly high-quality doll outfit you like or that really intriguing historical fiction mystery book. You don't have to buy the other products you're not crazy about. ;)

    If I boycott something, it's going to have to be because of a LOT more than just dolls I don't like or permanent doll underwear that I don't plan to show off to the world anyway. XD

    Hehe! Sorry for the rant! I haven't decided where I stood on this whole AG-making-new-changes thing until just now, so I wanted to say that. Thanks again for posting this! I LOVED reading your opinions! Well said and wonderfully written!

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bows and blushes* Thank you, Madi. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm so glad that Good thinking (about #62). I don't know when it's supposed to officially happen, do you? I actually don't have any white pants except for some white leggings, which are normally under stuff anyways! That's a smart outlook! Exactly - I don't buy what I don't like (does anyone?!). I still love almost everything else!!
      Same here. :)
      Thank you! I enjoyed writing it!
      ~ Light4theLord (I like your signoff, by the way!)

      Delete
  5. What a great post!! I too, love AG and the only thing I will not buy because I totally disagree with it - are any perma-panty dolls. If I get one I will return it instantly. I'm super excited for the big release next week and plan to go to the store on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thanks for sharing your opinion! I'm not terribly excited about that, but I'm not too angry about it either. I'm excited too, and I wish I could go (except I can't :( )! Enjoy!
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  6. Hi! I like this post. It's great how you collected information from both sides of the argument and gave your own as well.

    With regards to the zip ties and head tilt, I have to disagree with you. Of my six American Girl dolls only 2 have a tilt: Grace and Lea. Grace has ties and Lea the zip tie. Lea's head is harder to turn for different poses in photo shoots. None have stuffing showing at the neck point.

    My big problem with the perma-panties is based on my own knowledge of marketing. You want to generate return customers by providing consumables. To me it seems more prudent to provide a wider selection of foundation garments for purchase. Unless their team is predicting that curious children will rip open their dolls trying to figure out what is under the panties and the parents be forced to buy a new doll or send the doll to the hospital for a new torso.

    Thank you very much for this post. I like that what you have done here.
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! My mom helped me see other sides/POVs and I used what I had heard around (but I wrote it all myself, don't worry! I didn't plagiarize!).
      I didn't realize that, thanks so much for letting me know! I personally don't have a doll with zip ties, so I was just using what I heard. I'll definitely edit that with a clear-up part. Do you mind if I quote you? I'll refer back to you.
      Hmm... now that's a thought I hadn't thought of before! Interesting... :D I really never even thought about that (I've never really thought about ripping my doll apart... thankfully. :D )
      Thank you so much for your encouragement! I'm so glad that you enjoy my blog!
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  7. My thoghts on the changes:
    Wellie Wishers: I LOVE them, but I always spend my money on the big dolls so I probably won't get one for a while. ( Hmm... I think I've commented that somewhere before. *shrugs*)
    Logan and Tenney: You actually said my EXACT thoughts.
    Toys R Us and Kohls: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
    GOTYs: I really don't want AG to get rid of them! I can't imagine AG with out them. As far as Gabby goes, I LOVE her PJ's and meet outfit, but I'm VERY disappointed with the recycled story and small collection.
    Movies: I LOVE all of the movies EXCEPT Melody's movie. Melody's movie was a bit to harsh and it barley felt like an AG movie to me.
    Other Changes: The new packaging is pretty, but it is VERY cheap looking. I have Gabby's PJ's and the tiny hole from the string was fine, but the size of the hole has grown (but it's still tiny) and I will probably end up sewing it. I HATE the idea of BOTH permanent underwear and zip ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your opinion! I normally save up for 18" stuff, but I'd love for my little sis to get a WW! I'd be really sad if the GOTYs do end up leaving. :(
      Thanks again for reading and commenting!
      ~ Light4theLord

      Delete
  8. I think the same thing as you a BOY DOLL FROM AMERICAN GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO permanent panties what ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts